Hardware and Servers
Recently I have needed to add several additional Servers to my system/services to assist in my projects. This has pulled my efforts away from Game Development and into the realm of Information Technologies, (IT). I have recently added two new Servers to my rack; one running a LXD container system and the other server very recently tasked with running OpenStack.
So far, installing OpenStack has been more of a challenge than it should be. However if successful I hope to migrate all services to this new OpenStack Service. This assumes that I can get reasonable reliability and speed from this OpenStack environment. So far I haven’t been able to correctly configure OpenStack to my environment.
If I can get OpenStack up and running it will allow me to move away from Amazon’s EC2 environment for development/testing and reserving Amazon EC2 for actual deployment.
The struggle continues…
Networking and Multiplayer
In the past, for my Game Development, I have used pre-packaged Network tools like uLink, Photon, uNet and as the project has progressed these tools were updated, changed or discontinued. This has affected my projects to the point that entire projects were overhauled several times to accommodate the Network API changes.
As a result I have decided to roll my own Network/Multiplayer code purely in a stand alone language, in this case C#/.NET. This keeps my Network Code independent of Unity and its own internal changes. Also this allows my Network code to also be multi-threaded. This is a massive benefit for both the Client and especially for the Server.
This was no small feat and has been nearly a year’s long effort. While I have a working a first version of this Network Code I have already started the next version of Network Code with quite a few significant improvements. Forgotten Kingdoms will very likely use this newer version of Network Code. However, this will require that I finish the first version … first.
I am currently developing this Network Code (v1) within my BattleRIGs project to some degree of success. This gives me a manageable platform to test these new Network Functions as I develop them. As this is being developed from the ground up and I don’t really have many external resources to draw from; making this effort very time consuming.
More to follow soon.